Claudia Joyner MD enjoys working with adults and older teens who present with issues in the following areas:
- Mood and anxiety disorders, including depression, bipolar illness, panic attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder, etc. Look at the remarkable improvement after treatment in a depressed patient ‘s PET scan.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder as a result of experiencing or witnessing abuse or trauma. Dr. Joyner has extensive experience treating PTSD, and works with #metoo survivors, Holocaust survivors and their children. She is EMDR Certified in trauma treatment. See the CDC brain scan below.
- Women’s issues such as mood and anxiety difficulties in peri-menopause, life transitions, and Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder
.Relationship issues for both genders, straight or gay, including intimacy issues, “emotional affairs”, separation or divorce.
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD or ADHD) in adolescents or adults, is a neurobiological illness. Adults with ADD are often unaware of their own diagnosis until they see their child with ADD feel and function much better after treatment. Left untreated, ADD is associated with increased risk of car accidents, unemployment, and divorce.
- Peri-partum and post-partum issues in women (depression, anxiety, pregnancy loss). The FDA reported in January 2012 that the risks of untreated maternal depression can include: preterm delivery, low birth weight, lower Apgar scores, poor prenatal care, and increased risk of harm to the infant and/or mother. Dr. Joyner encourages new moms to bring their new baby and spouse/partner to appointments.
- Support for parents of children with special needs or severe psychiatric illness. These parents are frequently subject to intense stress, and need support for themselves and referrals for their family members (for psychiatric and other medical, legal, and educational issues which may arise).
- Asperger’s syndrome (also known as high-functioning autism). This illustration shows the multiple areas of the brain affected by Asperger’s.
- Adoption issues. As an adoptive parent herself, Dr. Joyner has had extensive experience with adoption and the impact of early neglect on children prior to adoption.
- Cancer and its complex medical, psychological and emotional impact on the patient and their loved ones
- Loss and grieving issues
- Consultation and collaboration with medical colleagues and other therapists on complex cases involving psychiatric/medical issues.